Sirens of Gotham is seeking a Music Director!
The person in this position will be responsible for developing and leading the musical and artistic performance of Sirens of Gotham, in collaboration with the Music Team, in a way that is consistent with our mission and core values. Before applying, please review our mission statement and core values as well as our latest accomplishments, including a bid to attend Harmony Classic in 2018, on our About page.
REQUESTED APPLICATION MATERIALS
Please review the job description and qualifications below, download the application, and email it to SirensDirectorSearch@gmail.com with the following materials to be considered for the position:
- Cover Letter and Resume
- Completed application questionnaire (see page 3 of the application)
- Video example of directing or coaching experience (preferred) or a representative performance
- Need not exceed 5 minutes
- Videos accepted via YouTube link, file attachment, or any file-sharing service (Box, DropBox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc.)
- Two (2) references from previous musical experiences that the search committee may contact
- Optional: Any other relevant or supporting materials, e.g.
- Published article or musical writings
- Letter(s) of recommendation
Ready to get started?
The Music Director’s musical knowledge and directorial skills greatly influence the growth and the quality of the Sirens of Gotham musical program. The responsibilities include:
- Selecting and training all Music Team members, and defining their leadership roles
- Developing a yearly musical vision with goals for the chorus in consultation with the Music Team and Management Team
- Selecting music, in collaboration with the Music Team, that is in line with the Sirens’ mission and core values
- Planning and executing weekly chorus rehearsals, based on a four-month calendar developed with the Music Team
- Directing all public performances of the Sirens of Gotham or delegating the direction duties to another member of the Music Team
- Establishing and attending all Music Team meetings and relevant Management Team meetings
- Overseeing entire audition process for prospective members.
- Evaluating and working with individual voices in the chorus bi-annually, along with the Music Team, through PVIs (Personal Voice Instruction) and additional private help when needed
- Seeking to further their skills as a director through appropriate learning opportunities
- Utilizing the talents and skills of all members of the Sirens of Gotham to continuously bring the chorus to new levels
The Music Director should be a well-organized, dependable, and strong leader whose creativity and musical skills advance Sirens of Gotham to the next level. An ideal candidate has:
- Prior choral directing experience or similar educational study
- Experience with barbershop art form, either in a quartet or with a chorus, is preferred but not required
- Strong understanding of vocal pedagogy and ability to demonstrate effectively to a large group
- A detail-oriented mindset and is able to communicate complicated artistic concepts effectively and consistently
- Strong desire to advance the chorus competitively within Sweet Adelines International and the a cappella community at large
- A desire to increase the chorus’s profile within the New York City artistic community as well as nationally
- The ability to inspire singers to reach high standards through inspiration and positive feedback
- The ability and passion to foster and develop a talented and effective Music Team
- Intuition for interpretation and an intimate understanding of the importance of visuals to create an effective stage performance
- Poise and ease in speaking to best represent the core values of our organization
We look forward to hearing from you!
Questions? Please email the committee at SirensDirectorSearch@gmail.com.