Interested in singing with Sirens of Gotham?
VISITORS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!
Visitors are always welcome to watch and listen at our regular rehearsals. The Sirens rehearse every Thursday night from 7:30-10:00pm in Manhattan, but we are currently relocating our rehearsals, so email us if you're interested in stopping by and we'll get you the information.
THINKING ABOUT AUDITIONING?
Our prospective member process occurs over the course of three (3) consecutive weeks with Guest Night, Audition Night, and a Welcome Rehearsal. We hold these prospective cycles 2-3 times a year. To get started, submit a non-binding Guest Registration Form to let us know you're interested in the chorus and read more about the prospective process below!
Check back in come October for details about our next Guest Night! (Date TBD)
3-WEEK PROSPECTIVE PROCESS
Prospective members are expected to attend all three (3) weeks of events, but if you have a conflict, please just let us know!
I. Guest Night & Vocal Diagnostic
All prospective members must attend at least one Guest Night, an evening that provides prospective members with an opportunity to learn about the organization, mix and mingle with the chorus, and experience a rehearsal! All those interested in pursuing membership must sign-up for a preliminary vocal diagnostic that night with a member of the Music Team in order to be considered for an audition. Submit a Guest Registration Form to let us know you're interested and we'll get in touch before our next Guest Night!
II. Audition Requirements
Should you be offered an audition following your preliminary vocal diagnostic at one of our Guest Nights, you will receive more details and materials for our audition process via email. The audition consists of the following components, all sung a cappella:
- Perform a 16-bar excerpt of your choice that showcases your voice, personality, and ability to sing a cappella
- Sing a provided barbershop arrangement on an assigned part (memorized) in a quartet of Music Team members
- Learn and sing a tag with the quartet of Music Team members. A tag, in barbershop music, is a dramatic variation put in the last section of the song, usually no more than about 8 measures. Tags are characterized by heightening the dramatic tension of the song, frequently including a “post,” a sustained note against which the other singers carry the rhythm and harmony. We often use tags as a quick ear-training exercise, but they’re also a fun social-singing activity!
How do I begin the prospective process?
- Submit a Guest Registration Form to let us know you're interested in the chorus.
- Attend a Guest Night to learn more about the chorus and experience rehearsal! If you’d like to audition, sign-up for and complete a preliminary vocal diagnostic while you're there.
- Should you be offered an audition following your vocal diagnostic, you will receive (by email) access to sign-up up for an audition slot and audition materials for an assigned voice part.
- Attend Audition Night the following Thursday. Auditions are 10-15 minutes long and will be scheduled between 6:30 and 10:30pm at a location TBD in Manhattan.
- You will hear back by the following Monday. If accepted into Sirens of Gotham, members are expected to immediately begin attending weekly Thursday rehearsals, the first being your Welcome Rehearsal on the Thursday following Audition Night!
Sweet Adelines International
Sirens of Gotham is one of the hundreds of Sweet Adelines International choruses that make up this worldwide organization of women who sing four-part barbershop harmony.
Not in the area? Find a chorus near you at www.SweetAdelinesInternational.com/findachorus.